Putnam Company was founded in 1938 by G. Mason Owlett and William A. Ridge. It was originally founded as an Esso gasoline distributorship and named after Putnam Township in Tioga County, Pennsylvania. Its primary marketing area was a 2,400 square mile, two county area, Bradford and Tioga Counties, north central Pennsylvania.
In 1940, Putnam had twelve employees and seventy-five percent of its ten million gallon gasoline business was delivered to a trucking company owned by one family and to four serve stations owned and operated by another family.
During the 1950’s, Putnam began a program of building and leasing service stations. In addition, the company began a diversification program in which a motel and restaurant chain were added to the company’s operations. In the early 1980’s, Putnam started its first convenience store.
Currently, the Putnam Company operates in an eight county area in north central and north eastern Pennsylvania, as well as operating in Southern New York State. Putnam presently has more than 250 employees.
The company operates eighteen convenience stores under the trade name of Acorn Markets and anticipates the construction of various new convenience stores over the next few years.